Clint Dempsey denied Manchester United victory, Chelsea with first victory of 2013

21/01/2013 no comments »
Clint Dempsey denied Manchester United victory, Chelsea with first victory of 2013

Tottenham 1:1 Manchester United

Clint Dempsey denied Manchester United victory at the White Hart Lane yesterday after a later equaliser for Tottenham.

Van Persie opened the scoring in the 25th minute when he finished a great Cleverley cross and headed the ball forcefully in the net – 0:1 Manchester United. The only good chance for Tottenham came through Bale who tested United goalkeeper David DeGea right before halt-time. Tottenham played better after the half-time and DeGea was tested again by Dempsey. Rooney came on in the 62nd minute and got clipped by Steven Caulker in the penalty area. Referee Foy, however, dismissed any penalty claims. Tottenham kept pressuring in the following minutes and was rewarded. De Gea failed to clear the ball, Lennon with the perfect cross and Dempsey headed the deserved equalizer in overtime – 1:1.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas said: “We dominated the whole game, played well and deserved to win. We had 60% possession against United, 15 shots against four and should have won. Champions like United have to go through moments like this but I think we deserved this last-minute goal.”

The equalizer leaved United 5 points ahead of Manchester City and 11 point of Chelsea FC. United will face Southampton on January 30th at Old Trafford.

Chelsea 2:1 Arsenal

Chelsea’s 2:1 victory over Arsenal secured the Blues the first victory of 2013.

Arsenal had the first chance of the game and Giroud only missed by inches. However, Chelsea completely outplayed Arsenal in the remaining first half. Mata scored the lead for Chelsea in the 6th minute after he took down an Azpilicueta pass and finished beautifully into the net past keeper Szczesny. Szczesny was again the center of attention just 10 minutes later when he took down Ramires in the penalty area and referee Atkinson pointed at the spot. Lampard scored his 195th Chelsea goal, only seven behind the club’s record goalscorer Bobby Tambling. Arsenal started better in the second half and Per Mertesacker and Walcott created the chances for the Gunners. Walcott finally scored the 2:1 in the 58th minute after a great Cazorla pass. Arsenal had the last chance of the game when Gary Cahill produced a vital interception and Olivier Giroud headed just over. It was sonly the second win for Benitez at Stamford Bridge. Arsene Wenger said after the match: “We gave them too much room in which to play in the first half. We had the first chance, a fantastic chance, but missed it. I thought Francis Coquelin was injured for the first [Chelsea goal], and I’m not convinced at all that it was a penalty on the second one.”

Arsenal will face West Ham on January 23rd at Emirates Stadium and Chelsea will travel to Reading on January 30th.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function wpads() in /var/www/web28985227/html/gigasportUK/wp-content/themes/Exciter/single.php:108 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/web28985227/html/gigasportUK/wp-includes/template-loader.php(74): include() #1 /var/www/web28985227/html/gigasportUK/wp-blog-header.php(19): require_once('/var/www/web289...') #2 /var/www/web28985227/html/gigasportUK/index.php(17): require('/var/www/web289...') #3 {main} thrown in /var/www/web28985227/html/gigasportUK/wp-content/themes/Exciter/single.php on line 108